A dental cleaning is a professional cleaning you receive from a dentist or dental hygienist. Most dental cleanings take approximately 30 minutes. Cleanings should be performed every six months to prevent excessive plaque buildup. Plaque left untreated can lead to unhealthy gums and tooth decay. During your routine cleaning we will remove excess plaque and polish your teeth.
Some types of bad breath, such as "morning mouth," are considered fairly normal and are not usually health concerns. However, persistent bad breath may be a sign of more serious problems with the gums and teeth.
Bad breath may be caused by the following:
- Poor dental hygiene – poor oral hygiene can leave food particles to decay in the mouth
- Infections in the mouth such as periodontal (gum) disease
- Respiratory-tract infections such as throat infections, sinus infections, lung infections
- External agents including foods such as garlic, onions, and coffee, as well as cigarettes and chewing tobacco
- Dry mouth caused by salivary gland problems or by breathing through the mouth
- Systemic illnesses such as diabetes, liver disease, kidney disease, lung disease, sinus disease, reflux disease and others
Call our office promptly if you have bad breath with painful, swollen gums that bleed easily or loose teeth. We will perform a physical examination of your mouth to determine the cause. If we discover that systematic problems are the cause, we may refer you to your family physician. In severe cases of gum disease, we may recommend a specialized periodontist.
Oral Hygiene Care
Crowns & Bridges
Root Canal Treatment
Nightguards & Mouthguards
Electronic Claim Processing
© Copyright 2010 Madison Pediatric Dentistry. All Rights Reserved.
859 S Yellowstone Highway • Rexburg, ID 83440
Phone: 208-552-5439 • Fax: 208-552-5440 • Email: email@example.com
Website designed by Saegen R. Paget